[pmwiki-users] Burnt! Simultaneous edit lost :-(

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Mar 3 14:30:37 CST 2006

kirpi at kirpi.it schrieb:
>> [...]
>> More likely is that I'll simply return the page
>> as the author submitted it, but...
>> [...]
>> Or, perhaps we leave the textarea alone, but...
>> [...]
>> Or, perhaps we leave the textarea alone, and...
>> [...]
>
> Ok, it's just a dream but...
> That magic thing called ajax, of which easy php implementation I've
> heard about, couldn't be used as an add-on cookbook recipe that let us
> *see* the very editing *right* at the moment they are typed in...?
>
> Dreaming, ok, dreaming...
> And I'm not an expert, that's why I dare writing these silly lines...

Um... it might even be possible.
The only reservation that I have about this is that it requires
Javascript. Many people have JS switched off due to security concerns.
(Even after years of availability, there's still an advisory every month
or so, with a line that says something like "Workaround: switch off JS
until a bug fix was installed".)

That said, I'm not 100% sure about the details of ajax. I'm currently in
the wait-and-see phase. Browsers seem to scramble for "Ajax support", so
it may be the Next Hot Thing Since Sliced Bread, but if it starts to
show up in advisories like JS, it's worthless outside trusted circles
(say, a corporate intranet - and even there I'd take care, some
corporations are snake pits and not above playing dirty in the intranet).

Regards,
Jo