[pmwiki-users] want opinions on a new cookbook recipe format

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 6 16:04:39 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 03:23:52PM -0600, Chris Cox wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I'm thinking it would be a good idea to evolve the formatting of
> > cookbook recipes slightly, so that instead of the "Question / Answer"
> > preamble at the top of the page, we have a section that reads more like:

> >     Prerequisites:
> >     Maintainer:
> >     Categories:
> >     Votes:
>
> (:cookbook summary='Blah Blah' version='1.0' ...
>
> I like the idea of using markup... then the format is
> more controlled.

Well, placing them on separate lines *is* markup.

(I think you meant to say you like the idea of using a (:directive:) :-).

Almost anything we do with a (:cookbook ...:) markup we can likely
do with the separate headings.  For example, I was quite pleased
with what could be done in the ChessMarkup recipe, which doesn't
require any special directives to be able to record the moves in a game.

(http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ChessMarkup)

And since I'm eventually hoping to extend this concept to allow
field-based searching of pages, it's probably better to prototype
the cookbook this way.  If we later decide a directive-based form
is better, it'll be no problem for me to write a script that converts
them all at once.