[pmwiki-users] want opinions on a new cookbook recipe format

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Tue Mar 7 12:53:01 CST 2006

Susan wrote:
> Chris Cox wrote:
>>Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>>>(I think you meant to say you like the idea of using a (:directive:) :-).
>>
>>Yep.. that is what I really meant.
>>

> I really like the whole idea of this. It would answer my biggest
> questions about each recipe:
>
> Is it working? Is it still working? Will it work tomorrow?
>
> Does this (:directive:) code mean authors will have to produce a line of
> letters and get things in the right order to fill in the fields? Or will
> there be a template or form? They've already written the recipe, there
> should be as few stumbling blocks as possible to them sharing it.

If it's driven by a directive, you'd fill in the parameters in
whatever order you want and then pmwiki could decide on
what is displayed and how.  Unknown parameters could be skipped...
empty ones could display 'Unknown' or something like that....or
just not be displayed... whatever.

For example for PmCalendar:

(:cookbook
 Name='PmCalendar'
 Summary='Calendar designed for PmWiki where each day is a separate wiki page.'
 Version='1.0rc6'
 Status='Stable'
 Prerequisites='pmwiki-2.0'
 Maintainer='ccox'
 Categories='Calendar,PIM'
:)

But.. Patrick is working on something sort of like this (??) without
using a directive (he knows a heck of a lot more about this stuff
than I do!).

My point is that you could control the input better and make the
display of the data very flexible.. and this is the way that
I knew how to do it.  There very well could be a better way.