[pmwiki-users] EditGettingStarted (was: TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 7 21:51:32 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:37:49PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2006-03-08  04:20 PM +1300, John Rankin is rumored to have said:
>
> I have a very wide screen, and the character markup table is almost
> unusable because the left and right columns are so wide. Not sure how
> to fix it.

Perhaps set an explicit width on the table?  I added

    || width=600px

which seems to help.

Also, on the "Pages in other groups", linking to Cookbook.HomePage
and Cookbook/HomePage isn't a good idea, because the distribution
doesn't come with cookbook pages and so those links will be
"create links".  The only groups that come with the distribution
are Main, PmWiki, and Site.

Lastly, in developing all of these new pages I hope someone can
eventually fix up all of the places that link to them,
such as the DocumentationIndex, QuickReferences, default SideBar,
etc.  It's okay with me if pages get renamed-- for example, perhaps
"DocumentationIndex" isn't the right name for what it does
(define a trail through the documentation), and I keep thinking that
"EditGettingStarted" should be called something like "Basic Editing" :-).

But at the end of the day I've gotta know which pages
belong in the distribution, and the set needs to act as a
reasonably unified whole.  We don't want to have a lot
of pages that essentially duplicate the content of other
pages (some duplication is okay, as long as we know the
purpose behind it).

If we need special purpose things for displaying markups,
I can see about adding it.  Unfortunately I'm not likely to
get a built-in TOC capability in time for a 2.1.0 release,
so we'll have to manage those manually a while longer.