[pmwiki-users] EditGettingStarted (was: TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Mar 7 22:24:18 CST 2006

On Wednesday, 8 March 2006 4:51 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>Also, on the "Pages in other groups", linking to Cookbook.HomePage
>and Cookbook/HomePage isn't a good idea, because the distribution
>doesn't come with cookbook pages and so those links will be
>"create links".  The only groups that come with the distribution
>are Main, PmWiki, and Site.

Done.

>Lastly, in developing all of these new pages I hope someone can
>eventually fix up all of the places that link to them,
>such as the DocumentationIndex, QuickReferences, default SideBar,
>etc.

Do we perhaps need a DocumentationChangePlan, so we have a
common view of what needs to be done? I have been reluctant
to rip in and make wholesale changes without some kind of
agreement on what needs to change; that way lies rework.

If people agree on the 3 new names EditGettingStarted
introduces, we can copy and paste content from existing
pages like BasicEditing into the new framework.

>It's okay with me if pages get renamed-- for example, perhaps
>"DocumentationIndex" isn't the right name for what it does
>(define a trail through the documentation), and I keep thinking that
>"EditGettingStarted" should be called something like "Basic
>Editing" :-).

How about "Start Editing"? (I added this as a title)

I think the idea of "start" is important, as it implies
there is more to come, rather than implying everything not
"basic" is "advanced". The trouble with BasicEditing is that
it's really easy to keep adding things to it "cos it's still
basic editing", whereas GettingStarted is a pretty strong
hint that it's only the start of a new and fulfilling
relationship with your web browser.

--
JR