[pmwiki-users] Spam control

Carlos AB carlos.ab at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 04:46:53 CST 2006

I was wondering, why not create a space for people that would like to
spam a site , to do it in a proper way or in a way that won't hurt (bug)
the admins, users and the content of a PmWiki site. Maybe this is a way
to encourage:

* Spammers not to ruin PmWiki  sites open to the public ( changing
passwords, removing content for good, deleting pages, trying to hack the
sites ...)
* Admins to run their sites open.
* Spammers to respect and *maybe* contribute with the site. (most
vandalism *I*  have seen is not made by robots)

My idea was to use a small space in the front page to display the spam
included in a page called (let's say) Main.Spam and a recipe to display
a number of entries inside that page .Also an option to control the
number of  "spam lines" to show in the front page , like :

$ShowSpam = (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on)

Another thing that I think would be important are:

* Delete the entries as soon as it is shown to the public.
* Put a warning on the spot were spam links are showed, reminding users
to follow that links at their own risk or maybe just saying that those
links are spam.
* On the same spot mentioned above, put a "invitation" for spammers to
put their links in the right place (Main.Spam).

How many of the site admins  in this list feel about this idea?

CarlosAB