[pmwiki-users] ExternMap?

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 07:03:19 CST 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:40:22PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> > > Better still, create a page called Site.InterMap, and in that
> > > page put:
> > >
> > >     ISP:    http://www.userisp.com/username/images/
> >
> > Are there any limitations to this page?
>
> Not really.
>
> > For instance, what if I'd like to document all these prefixes, could I do
> > that on the same page?
>
> Yes.  PmWiki essentially looks for lines beginning with a word and
> a colon and uses those as InterMap entries.
>
> > Would this be a good way to do it, or would it make pmwiki much slower if
> > there's other text on Site.InterMap?
>
> It shouldn't be significantly slower.
>
> > In addition, what's the precedence here if a link is defined many times,
> > e.g. on Site.InterMap, local/farmmap.txt and local/intermap.txt
>
> Currently, the precedence is (highest to lowest):
>
>     local/localmap.txt
>     $SiteGroup.InterMap
>     $FarmD/local/farmmap.txt
>     $FarmD/scripts/intermap.txt
>
> The precedence can be changed via the $InterMapFiles variable.

I have a feeling that the questions/answers above should be added to the
documentation. Any thoughts regarding which page(s) I should add it to?

It might also be an idea to partially convert Site.InterMap into a "live"
example, i.e. we add some comments there which explain and illustrate some
of these issues. For some reason pmwiki.org isn't responding right now so
I can't check how it looks right now.

/Christian