[pmwiki-users] Lost Edits

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 16:49:52 CST 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, H. Fox wrote:

> On 3/12/06, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 3/12/06, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com <christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Scott Connard wrote:
> >
> > > I was editing and clicked Preview to check my results, scrolled down to
> > > the bottom of the screen and forgot that I was previewing in the middle
> > > of an edit, so I clicked the Edit button and lost my edits.
> >
> > It would be interesting to know how common this problem is.. and
> >  especially if it is something that often happens to new users of PmWiki.
> > If it is, we definitely should do something about it!
> >  It happened to me a couple of times when I was new, and I've watched it
> > happen to other newbies, too.  I've always looked at it as one of those
> > lessons that we all learn "the hard way" (more painfully for some than for
> > others, depending on what we've lost in the learning).
>
> I agree; it's part of learning to work with computers.  Still, it might
> be nice to provide authors with a bit more of a visual cue on the
> preview area.

I'm ambivalent here... probably because I myself lost edits just a month
ago, and I've been using PmWiki for several years...  However, I'd
probably forgotten the web interface since I usually work from Emacs'
pmwiki-mode. On the other hand, this suggests that it's easy to forget how
the interface works.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I think there's something
that's not intuitive in the current interface - but I don't know what.
Maybe there should be a big fat red "Preview"-text on the background of
the page when you're previewing.

/Christian