[pmwiki-users] the new FAQ-o-matic (was: Re: Deny viewing the history)

pmwiki at ben-amotz.com pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Mon Mar 13 11:08:16 CST 2006

> At 2006-03-13  10:26 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >I've also updated the PmWiki.FAQ page to automatically grab
> >faq sections from other pages (you can see the newly added
> >questions automatically appearing at the bottom of PmWiki.FAQ --
> >http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ ).
>
> Patrick
>
> The automatic FAQ include is superb. I especially like the way the
> pagename becomes a heading and link. Perhaps Hagan can be persuaded
> to move the rest of the entries onto their respective pages. (He is
> the expert in this area  ;-)
>
> No infringement on http://faqomatic.sourceforge.net/ intended - it
> just seems like the right name.
>

> Neil

So, for this to work, we need to add a FAQ section at the end of a
documentation page that begins with the following markup:
>>faq<< [[#faq]]

And it will automatically be included in the FAQ page, which ends with
the following pagelist:

(:pagelist trail=PmWiki.DocumentationIndex "[[#faq]]" fmt=#includefaq:)

Does the new FAQ section have to be at the bottom of the page?

It might not have to, if this pagelist include works like the regular
include markup: where the failure to specify an ending anchor causes
the include to stop at the next anchor it encounters.  If so, then the
FAQs would not have to appear at the very end, below the trail
navigation links, so long as another anchor appears at the end of the
FAQs (either to close out the FAQs section, or to mark the begining of
the next section).

If the FAQ does not have to be at the bottom of the page below the trail
markup, then the issue is whether there is should be a suggested
standardized location.

Pico