[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Wed Mar 15 02:36:48 CST 2006

>>As pedantic as it sounds, what if we agreed on some terminology?
>>* A farm (or wiki farm) is a collection of two or more wiki fields
>>that use one copy of the PmWiki code.
>>* A field is a single wiki with a unique URL. Each field lives in its
>>own directory.
>
>>* The "home field" is where most of the PmWiki code (particularly
>>pmwiki.php) lives. Calling this the "farm field" or "farm directory"
>>seems confusing to me, because the farm (to me) is the whole - not a
>>part. The home field may have wiki content, or it may just be a
>>warehouse for the code.

That sounds good. I am a farmer and I found the original description of
how to setup a "farm" confusing:)

I think that perhaps at least two pages are needed:

How to set up a farm from scratch.
How to convert an existing installation to a farm.

Also some sort of Advanced Farm techniques page (OK that's three pages:)

One thing that would have saved me lots of typing was discovering the
$FarmD variable earlier:) So, I think any guide should include an easy
to find reference to farm specific variables.

Ian.