[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Mar 15 11:20:33 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:

> [lots of dismissals as "this isn't a large problem"]

Now while I agree that none of these problems are showstoppers, each of
them can hinder an admin. It will take him an hour to find the cause,
research a solution, and implement it - if things go well; the process
can take days (if the symptoms don't directly point to the cause, or if
the PmWiki installation isn't publicly accessible and we can't look at
the ?action=diag output).

I'll grant that one can sensibly disagree about the severity of the problem.

However, I still have one question to ask:

What's the advantages of fields over installing multiple wikis with
shared code?
(Or is it indeed just a terminological problem, and farms are already a
shared-code thing?)

To expand on the idea of "common code wikis", here's how I'd expect a
wiki software to work (and that's just my personal expectations, as a
datapoint, and - maybe! - something that PmWiki might approach in the
future, though of course there are other things than my personal
preferences to consider):
1) There's one directory for the "wiki engine" and one directory for the
"wiki data".
2) The data directory contains the index.php page that starts the
machinery. index.php calls the wiki engine with any parameters required
to make it find the data directory (ideally, the wiki engine would
simply look at the current directory).
3) The engine takes all data from the work directory, falling back to
the engine directory whenever the work directory comes up empty. (If
this is applied to scripts as well, this can serve to override bits and
pieces of the engine with wiki-specific code and configuration.)

I don't think it would be difficult to get PmWiki to such a scenario. On
  a safe_mode-disabled server, this would allow webmasters to install
the software, and nail down the configuration so that it "simply works"
for their customers.
Being part of a web hoster, I can say that such a setup would make
PmWiki instantly attractive for us. (Not that it isn't already - but we
could then say things like "your WWW site comes with a preinstalled wiki
that you can clone if you need multiple wikis", instead of "install and
administer your own wikis". We could preinstall recipes that would make
sense for our customers. That all would definitely make a difference.)

Regards,
Jo