[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 15 18:06:38 CST 2006

On 3/15/06, Jonathan Scott Duff <duff at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:49:40PM -0500, DaveG wrote:
> > I made an attempt at a simple step-by-step. I managed to refer to a Farm
> > once, and I did not need to use the term "field", but instead used the
> > term "wiki".
>
> Indeed, while I've been reading this thread just now it occurs to me
> that if the terminology is the problem, then making up new names isn't
> going to help. Getting rid of the term "field" is an excellent idea
> IMNSHO. Besides, what is a "WikiFarm" but a farm where you raise wikis
> :-)

I like that -- mitigate, if not eliminate, the use of the term "field".

With that in mind, here's a question:
Say I install a stand-alone wiki, then add a farmconfig.php (a.k.a. a
global configuration file that maybe should be called
globalconfig.php) and create two more wikis.  All three are wikis, and
the two new ones are what we now would call "fields", but what is the
original wiki?  How would you describe the difference between the two
new wikis and the original?

Hagan