[pmwiki-users] Note on tooltip options

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 17 19:35:21 CST 2006

On 3/17/06, Hans <design at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Saturday, March 18, 2006, 12:02:22 AM, Patrick wrote:
> > Also, is it important to make
> > a distinction between alt= and title= in images?
>
> alt= should provide information for browsers which do not support
> images, or have image loading disabled. It displays instead of the
> image.
> title= provides descriptive information which usually is displayed as
> hover-tooltip-type  text, both in situations where the imageis
> displayed or where the alt-text is displayed instead.
>
> So I think it is important to make a distinction between the too.
>
> Isn't alt also necessary for html validation? Perhaps it could be
> more encouraged.
>
>     Attach:image.jpg"alternative text" | My Photo caption | hover title
>
> and for links:
>    [[ target | link text | hover title ]]
>
> I see the hover title/tooltip always as an add on which will be not
> frequently used, whereas link text and caption will be.
> thwerefor it should come last, like an extra option, which can be
> easily omitted, including the preceding pipe.
>
> and if you want a hover text and no caption for an image:
>
>    Attach:image.jpg"alt text" | | hover text
>
> So for links there is a clear cascade of importance:
>  target - link text - hover tip/text
> and images follow suit, with the inclusion of "alt text" directly after
> the image file, as it should be used.

You're right, that's better.

For links that would be

   [[ http://www.example.com | Link text ]]
   [[ http://www.example.com | | Title text ]] ??
   [[ http://www.example.com | Link Text | Title text ]]

For images it would be

   Attach:image.jpg"Alt text"
   Attach:image.jpg"Alt text" | Caption text
   Attach:image.jpg"Alt text" |  | Title text
   Attach:image.jpg"Alt text" | Caption text | Title text
   Attach:image.jpg | Caption text
   Attach:image.jpg |  | Title text
   Attach:image.jpg | Caption text | Title text

Hagan