[pmwiki-users] Wiki farm confusion

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 18 18:11:09 CST 2006

On 3/16/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> >Is it reasonable to refer to a copy of PmWiki without a wiki -- or
> >maybe the distribution minus the pub/ directory -- as "the wiki
> >engine"?  Uh-oh... Is that another metaphor creeping in?  :-)
>
> I would call it a wiki with no servable pages or a wiki without a page store.
>
> For example, say you have 3 wikis in your farm:
> 1 is what I call the "home wiki" with all the PmWiki code
> 2 has a page store but no PmWiki code
> 3 has an empty page store and no PmWiki code

This is not what you have, though.

It's an engine and three wikis, one of which is in the same directory
as the engine.  You can move the wiki engine and with some minor
configuration changes (adding "$FarmD/" to cookbook and scripts paths,
etc.) the wiki will run just the same.

My point is:  The home wiki doesn't have the code, the engine does.
It just happens to be in the same directory.

Earlier in this thread, Pm wrote

   The only real difference is that a home wiki uses the same pub/
   directory as the home installation, whereas a field wiki can
   provide its own pub/ .

so maybe "home installation" is better, except my original thought was

wiki engine + farmconfig.php + farm's pub/ directory = home installation

Hagan