[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 04:30:43 CST 2006

I've been too busy to follow the recent (long) discussion and have only
just now read it - I greatly appreciate the effort by everyone!

Quoting (Neil's work?) at http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiFarms

	A WikiFarm is a collection of two or more wikis running on the
	same web server and sharing a set of common components.

I wonder: Why does a wiki farm have to have two or more wikis?

The phrasing above implies to me that it's not possible to have a wiki
farm *installation* with only a single wiki, which you can of course.
Could we come up with a slightly different definition which says something
more along the lines of:

	A WikiFarm is a way to run one or more wikis on a single web
	server,	where the wikis share a set of common components.

Or am I missing something conecptually here?

>From a scaling perspective, I of course wonder about that bit about
'single web server'... shouldn't it be possible to serve a single wiki
from several servers to distribute the load? Anyway, let's not go there
today :-)

regards,
Christian