[pmwiki-users] Note on tooltip options

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Mar 20 02:33:02 CST 2006

Neil Herber schrieb:
> Other than the fact that it might break existing markup, I would say
> get rid of the [[ Link Text -> http://www.example.com ]] markup
> altogether.

Sorry for jumpin in late, and I have to confess I haven't followed this
thread. Let me just cast my vote for the -> syntax: it's far more
intuitive than the | syntax.
Two reasons:
1) (The important one) It's better when authors first think about what
their readers will read as link text, then about where the link should
point to. The link target can be looked up if wording the link text is
so difficult that the URL gets "swapped out" of the author's mind; if
the link is complicated, I tend to forget what I wanted to write, and
since the flow of words was broken by having to write the URL, the text
I'm coming up with later is usually not as good. (I have switched to ->
exclusively for this reason.)
2) (A less important one) The -> arrow nicely underlines the fact that
the link text is referring to the URL. The | syntax has no such
intuitive meaning; I found it awkward to remember that link text should
come after URL. (Well, maybe not so unimportant: such points are
relevant for newbies.)

If dropping one of the link syntaxes is ever a real consideration,
please, drop the | one. I always found it too ugly to live.

> It never made sense to me, the GUI link buttons in the edit window
> don't generate it, and we have a perfectly good markup that does the
> same job using one fewer character. (I never use it as a result.)

On a US keyboard, you're right.

On a German one (or actually for most European countries), it's
Left-Ctrl Left-Alt 'y', which is horrid. (Right-Ctrl/Right-Alt keys
don't work for that. Yeah, I know it's braindead. No, I don't know what
idiots defined that standard; everybody is sticking to it for no good
reason at all. Actually all of @|{[]}\~ are "hate characters" because
typing them on a European keyboard requires a considerable amount of
prestidigitation, which disrupts any attempt at ten-finger blind-typing.)

Regards,
Jo