[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 20 15:54:57 CST 2006

On 3/20/06, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
<christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say you install two wikis separately in two separate directories.
> Then you replace some shared components (pmwiki.php, pub/, wikilib.d/ etc)
> in one of the directories with soft links (i.e. 'ln -s') to the
> corresponding components in the other directory. It's now possible to
> upgrade both installations in one go etc. If you'd like, you could even
> have both local/config.php's include a common file.  (I've actually done a
> few wiki installations exactly like this, it was before I started using
> wiki farms properly).
>
> Is this a wiki farm?  Or does wiki farm actually imply the use of
> local/farmconfig.php, $FarmD etc? I have a sneaky feeling that there's
> more to a "proper" wiki farm than what I just described.

FWIW, I'd say if it doesn't have a farmconfig.php, $FarmD etc., then
it isn't a farm.  One of the key features of a farm is that you can
keep farm-wide changes and local wiki changes separate.

This is why a normal stand-alone installation isn't a farm.  Adding a
skin or cookbook recipe can only be done "globally".  If you "convert
to a farm" by adding a farmconfig.php and add another wiki (or another
dozen wikis), the skins and recipes are available to not only the home
wiki but all of the wikis.  Therein lies the difference between a home
wiki and what was once known as a field wiki.

Hagan