[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 19:59:35 CST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Hans wrote:

> Tuesday, March 21, 2006, 12:18:10 AM, christian wrote:
> > This also means that the "home wiki" can't have a locally modified skin
> > (or CSS) which is different from the global skins. If you in addition use
> > recipes that use the pub/-directory for other purposes (eg MimeTeX to
> > cache images), you can get a conflict here as well.
>
> And why not? Set in your home wiki's config.php $Skin = 'skinA';
> and set in farmconfig.php $Skin = 'skinB';
> and you get your local skin skinA and your global skin for other wikis
> as skinB.

I usually go with the default pmwiki skin, only modifying the local
CSS-file. But if I'd modify the skin, I think I'd prefer not having to
rename it... with that strategy I could just as well keep all the skins in
one global, common, location in the first place. Although, I think I'd
really prefer not having to change the name of the skin.

> So you need to be aware that the pub/ directory is shared with others,
> and be careful how you modify stuff.

Having to be careful is what I dislike, and also why I suggested that the
shared public directory be called something else.

Thinking some more about recipes v.s. the local/global pub/-directory, I'm
not sure it's really a problem for MimeTeX. If there are any problems I
now think they are more like when modifying skins.  In other words, if the
recipe is well written and looks for stuff first in $FarmPubDirUrl and
then in the local pub/, modifying something in the home wiki's pub/ is
something you have to think twice about.

cheers
/Christian