[pmwiki-users] Why doesn't this installation sequence work?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Mar 21 12:41:51 CST 2006

At 2006-03-21  07:25 PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com is
rumored to have said:
>If this structure isn't feasible, why not? Would this be a good way to do
>it?

I swore to myself I would not get sucked back into this thread, but ...

The structure you drew looks way too complicated. Every wiki admin
needs FTP access to 2 directories.

I  have a very easy way to create a farm with every wiki in the farm
able to have its own totally private skins etc.

1) Do a standard, full install to directory1
2) Add the farmconfig file to directory1
3) In the .htaccess file for directory1, deny access to pmwiki.php

You now have a "home wiki" that can never have page content or be a
wiki, but it does hold all of the farm-wide shared components and config files.

4) In directory2, install the index.php wrapper script that invokes
pmwiki.php in directory 1

Repeat step 4 for each additional wiki.

If you stop after the first iteration of step 4, you have the famous
ridderstrom-1-wiki-farm.   ;-)

Now I have to go polish the stein in my beer mug collection.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668