[pmwiki-users] Strange searchbox bug.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 23 09:45:42 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:26:53PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> I have a pagelist feature in my sidebar that lists various pages in
> one group.  In the main part of my page I have a searchbox that
> searches several groups (including the one in the sidebar).
>
> When I run the search, the content of my pagelist is immediately
> transformed to reflect the results of the searchbox (it is also shown
> in the main page where it is supposed to be).  Any ideas why it is
> doing this?  Is it a bug that should be reported to PITTS?

It's not really a "bug" in the sense that PmWiki is doing what
it's supposed to do in this case.

Both pagelists and searchresults use the same code, and accept
arguments from submitted forms and the URL query.  So, if you
enter something in a search box, it affects the search results
as well as any displayed pagelists.

Arguably this will be confusing for pagelists in sidebars and the
like.

I think (:pagelist:) and (:searchresults:) should get a "request="
parameter that indicates whether the listing should use
parameters coming from the commandline.  Then it's a question
of what the defaults should be; clearly (:searchresults:) should
default to looking at a request.  I'm thinking that (:pagelist:)
should default to not looking at request items, but this might
break some existing sites, so I'm not sure what to do there.

Comments?