[pmwiki-users] pmwiki documentation: Edit Templates

kjettil kjettil at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 25 02:28:05 CST 2006

Sandy wrote:
> Maybe a downloadable cookbook as a separate file, so we've got a local
> reference?
>
> Sandy
>
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>> But we also have people who are making a case that the distributed
>> documentation is already too big, and that the admin-oriented
>> documentation pages shouldn't be in the distribution.
>> It's a balancing act, and I'm not sure we have the correct balance
>> yet or have good guidelines for what goes where.  But it's pretty
>> clear to me that we don't want to put every conceivable option and
>> configuration possibility into the distributed docs -- and that's
>> why we have the Cookbook.  Part of the Cookbook's purpose is to
>> document many of PmWiki's features and configuration possibilities
>> that are less commonly used than others.

Being one of those "people" who claim that the distributed documentation
is too big and not really needed for an operational wiki site, I'd
certainly support the idea of a separate "admin package".

Presently, more than 50 % of the download is in my view overhead and not
necessary for the end user, but is still not sufficient for an
"advanced" administrator or developer.

A separately downloadable "admin package" would make it possible to keep
an updated "developer manual" on your (these days most likely, portable)
machine, accessible without unnecessarily loading the pmwiki.org site
and also accessible offline (important e.g. if you work travelling on a
train or in a plane).

kjettil