[pmwiki-users] password question

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Mar 28 10:48:39 CST 2006

At 2006-03-28  09:56 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > Everything works fine until someone tries to edit a Site page, at
> > which point the prompt should be "you need an admin password".
> > I thought about testing for the group and tuning the password prompt
> > based on that, but that seems a kludge, and it requires updating the
> > prompt logic if I decide to protect other pages.
>
>This is what I would do.  It's the simplest solution.

Thanks Patrick, this is what I will do, although the {$Passwdedit}
page variable sounds very promising.

Should I send you all of the cigars that Caveman missed out on?  ;-)

> > Much better would be some logic that says "you are trying to edit
> > this page, and I can see that you have already used the shared edit
> > password, so you must need a higher level password - like admin."
>
>PmWiki doesn't think in terms of "higher level" passwords -- there
>are just passwords that authorize actions.

Just for the record, I know there is no levels concept with
passwords. I should have said "you must need a different password -
like admin". In the case quoted, there only is one edit password
shared amongst all users (ooopss!) I mean authors.

I didn't even think PmWiki associated passwords with actions or pages
- it just kept a list.

So you can't ask "Does the password 'zxcv' allow editing?", but you
can ask "Does the password 'zxcv' allow editing on the page
Main.HomePage?" or "Does the author have password 'zxcv' in his
password array?" (Not that such functions exist, but that is the
logic.) Is that correct?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/