[pmwiki-users] wikipublisher questions

noskule noskule at gmx.net
Thu Mar 30 04:04:47 CST 2006

John Rankin schrieb:

>On Thursday, 30 March 2006 9:15 AM, noskule at gmx.net wrote:
>

>>hi list hi john
>>I installed wikipublisher and have some questions . .
>>
>>farm:
>>In a farm wikipublisher only works in the main field. In all other
>>fields the wikipublisher server gives the "wikipublisher error report".
>>The strange thing is that the pdf icons are only shown in the mainfield
>>but not in all others.
>>

>I do have it installed and working in a wikifarm, so I expect we'll
>be able to work out what's wrong. I'll guess that it's a confusion
>(on my part) between $PubDirUrl and $FarmPubDirUrl.
>
>If you do a View Source to look at the html of a page with a ? pdf icon,
>what is the address of the icon? Is it the *farm* pub or the
>*current field* pub?

hm, it looks like wikipublisher couldnt find out that the current wiki
is a field, cause
the url is:

http://www.netstreams.org/netstreams/spedlog/pub/images/pdficon.gif

should be:

http://www.netstreams.org/netstreams/pub/images/pdficon.gif

>If it's the current field pub, I'll guess that this
>is also the cause of the typeset failure, as it's probably not finding
>the latexprint and latexpublish skins in the *farm* pub directory, but
>is looking in the *current field* pub directory instead.

yep, guess thats the problem

>If this *is* the problem,I'll need some help working out how to fix it,
>as I have not worked much with farm installations. How do we force:
>- the pdf icon to look in the farm's pub
>- the skin to look in the farm's pub
>
>Is your local config.php file setting a $PubDirUrl?

I'm setting up FarmPubDirUrl

farmconfig.php:---------------------------------------------------------------

$FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://www.netstreams.org/netstreams/pub';

include_once("$FarmD/local/extensions.php"); # in this file are all extensens

extensions.php:(separate file for extension)-----------------

/## publishpdf/
$MarkupEnabled['latex'] = 1;		/#required/
$MarkupEnabled['mailform'] = 1;		/#required/
$MarkupEnabled['markup'] = 1;		/#required/
$MarkupEnabled['pagetoc'] = 0;
$MarkupEnabled['pdf2you'] = 1;		/#required/
$MarkupEnabled['rename'] = 0;
$MarkupEnabled['search'] = 0;
$MarkupEnabled['titledictindex'] = 0;
$MarkupEnabled['wikiform'] = 1;		/#required/
$MarkupEnabled['wikilog'] = 0;
$MarkupEnabled['wikipublisher'] = 1;	/#required/
$MarkupEnabled['wpversion'] = 1;	/#required/

include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/wikipublisher/extensions.php");

config.php: (fields config)-------------------------------------------------

//

session_name('netstreams-org');

XLPage('de','PmWikiDe.XLPage');
XLPage('de','PmWikiDe.XLPageCookbook');
XLPage('de','PmWikiDe.NetstreamsSkin');
setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_CH.ISO8859-1');

$WikiTitle = 'netstreams.org';
$Skin = 'netstreams';
$DefaultGroup ='Netstreams';

$LinkWikiWords = 1;                      /# disable WikiWord links/
$SpaceWikiWords = 0;                     /# turn on WikiWord spacing/

$EnableGUIButtons = 1;
$EnableUpload = 1;

>>publishing links:
>>I would like to have a simple pdf icon on the several locations (page,
>>wikitrail, wikiforms, ...) that leads the user to the pdf option in on a
>>new page, so when he is finishing making pdf he can close the window and
>>is on he's startposition)
>>

>I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand. Whenever you click either the
>pdf icon or a typeset button, you always see the same typeset page. That
>page contains a Cancel button that takes the user back to the starting
>position when pressed. A user can also click the back button. When you
>press the pdf button on that page, it opens a new window for the pdf.
>
>I *think* you are asking for the following behaviour changes:
>
>- clicking a pdf icon or pressing a typeset button opens a new
>  window with the confirmation screen

yes, that means that the user could browse a page and if he deside to
make a pdf a new window opens, he does the pdf operations (configure the
pdf seddings, deside if he want an email ore waite for it), and if hes
finisch he closes the window an is at the same point at the beginning.

Currently it works on (my installation) like this:

click pdf icon:
-> 1. new  page (pdf options)

push submit:
-> 2. new page (delivery desition (mail, wait))

push I'l wait:
-> 1. new page with the pdf

so the user probably wants to save the pdf. He save and close the
window. Now he stay  at the second "delivery-window". If he want back to
the starting situation he will press the backbutton of the browser 2
times. He also could press "cancel", but in my "limited "expiriance,
nobudy press cancel, I guess its because cancel implies to stop somthing
but the user wants "back" so he takes the backbutton

For my understanding, operations like pdf print and that like should
open a new window that can be closed if the operation is finish, or mybe
work in the same window but in this case brings the user automaticly
back to the startingpoint.

in my personal taste im not  fan of many windows that let the user step
througt, if the information can be displayed in one window, so i would
merge the config and deliverywindow. The mailfeature (supper-nice
thing!) the people use in my expirience for to send the pdf to other
people. If the want it for themselfs the allways whait cause they want
to check how it look like and to recive it in the mail and store it
somewhere is more work.

>- pressing the pdf generation button keeps the same window
>
>- should pressing an options button also open a new window?

yep, the pdf or option should open the "only" new window. In this window
works all the pdf operation. At it's end stands the pdf (if the user
configured it like this in the pdf prefiew of the browser) otherways the
savedialog will be displayed

>- remove the 'Cancel' button and replace it with a message
>  to close the window (otherwise you go back to the original
>  page, but in a new window)
>
>We decided that going to the confirmation screen should not open a
>new window, as the back button would not then work. The one and only
>action that opens a new window is submitting a pdf request.

I guess the back button (Cancel) will be used  if au user opens pdf by
misstake. So  he will/could naturaly hit the backbutton. This sould not
happen to many times.

>If you want control over when new windows get opened, this will
>require quite a bit of careful checking. I need to review the
>pdf2you.php script to see exactly where this option needs to go.
>

>>to control the pdf links I found several variables
>>
>>/$PageTypesetFmt =  typset on every page/
>>/$PDFOptionsFmt = the options button/
>>/$PublishTagFmt
>>$probablymore
>>///
>>
>>what variable I have to take to link the several pdf links to the option
>>page?
>>

>It's not something that can be configured locally at present.
>Instead of all roads leading to the confirmation page and that
>opens a new window, it becomes all links open a new window,
>but the confirmation page doesn't. I'm not sure why this is an
>improvement, but I may not have understood the request.

I dont no how other admins (i'm not a real one, more on the desing side)
think about this. IMHO, it would be best if be start of the pdf
operation opens a new window and if the operation is finish the window
can be /will be closes and the user is on its starting point.