[pmwiki-users] Referencing documents NOT in uploads on an internal PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 30 08:26:17 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:23:50PM -0800, Steve Stone wrote:
> The file:\\ is also what I had expected, but nothing opens.  I have put
> test.txt file in a bunch of directories including:
>   Root directory of PmWiki web server
>   local
>   upload
>   wiki.d
>   wiki.d\test
>
> The link is
>   [[file:\\test.txt]]

Different browsers expect different forms of the file: link.  Some
browsers expect three slashes, while others expect one -- it's very
inconsistent.  Find what form of link does work in the browser
and then try that.

> Under Firefox 1.5.0.1, nothing happens except that the status line reads
> done after a second.
>
> Under IE 6.0.2, I get an error page for "network not found".  Has anybody
> done this?

It has been done in the past, yes.  Also, for security reasons most
modern browsers (including Firefox and IE) don't honor "file:"
urls if the source of the current page is something other than a
local file on disk.

In Firefox, there's a security setting of some sort that has to be
changed in the browser to enable "file:" to work.

In IE, you're getting "network not found" because IE is thinking
that the thing coming following the double-backslash is a server
name.  Try adding another slash (or taking one away).

Pm