[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

David Spitzley dspitzle at wash.k12.mi.us
Fri Mar 31 09:35:55 CST 2006

I vote strongly in favor of 1 (not that Blocklist2 is particularly hard to install), and have little opinion on 2 or 3.

David

>>> "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> 03/31/06 10:19 AM >>>

Several features have come up for possible inclusion in the core
distribution, so I'm soliciting opinions on them here.

For each feature, if we have consensus on a feature then I can
add it quickly; if there isn't consensus then I'll make a PITS
entry for it and we can vote/discuss it there.

Also, comments against adding a proposed feature carry slightly
more weight than those in favor of it.

The items:

1.  Add a "blocklist" recipe to the core (disabled by default).
    Most sites are wanting to have some form of blocking available
    and are using some variant of the blocklist.php  or blocklist2.php
    recipes --- bringing Blocklist into the core would allow it
    to be more closely synchronized and maintained with the
    rest of the distribution.

2.  Lines beginning with a backslash force a new paragraph.  This
    would allow paragraphs to be started without intervening
    whitespace as in:

        %right% This is a right justified paragraph
        \%center% This is center justified

    Here, '\' at the beginning of a line is a counterpart to
    the existing '\' at the end of a line, which performs breaks and
    joins.

3.  Another possibility is to have a leading '%' begin a new
    paragraph; I suspect it's rare to have '%' at the beginning
    of a line which is also in the middle of a paragraph.  But
    it is possible -- for example:

        Our building is
        %red% red,
        %blue% blue,
        and
        %orange% orange.

Comments, suggestions, reactions welcome.