[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Mar 31 14:32:44 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> 1.  Add a "blocklist" recipe to the core (disabled by default).
>     Most sites are wanting to have some form of blocking available
>     and are using some variant of the blocklist.php  or blocklist2.php
>     recipes --- bringing Blocklist into the core would allow it
>     to be more closely synchronized and maintained with the
>     rest of the distribution.

Last time I looked at blocklist&co, they were simple IP address filters.
I think that's not good enough - well, good enough for the current level
of spamming, but as PmWiki is attracting more users, it will also
attract people who can fake IPs, or flood PmWiki using hijacked computers.

More concretely, having a blocklist in the core might dissuade people
from trying better blocklists. (Anybody taken a close look at Spam
Karma, as used in WordPress? It's doing a fine job, and even prepares
for the next wave of "better" spam.)

> 3.  Another possibility is to have a leading '%' begin a new
>     paragraph; I suspect it's rare to have '%' at the beginning
>     of a line which is also in the middle of a paragraph.  But
>     it is possible -- for example:
>
>         Our building is
>         %red% red,
>         %blue% blue,
>         and
>         %orange% orange.

It would be confusing.
\ at the beginning of a line is reminiscent of the double backslash at
the end of the line, and the two are doing similar things.
(Speaking of enforce-a-paragraph markup: I don't really understand why
the old \\-at-end-of-line markup isn't good enough anymore - or did I
miss the discussion?)

Regards,
Jo