[pmwiki-users] Announcement: Markdown-0.1

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Sat May 6 23:43:47 CDT 2006

Okay, it's pretty alpha, but it is a start. I have published
"Markdown," which is a way of integrating the Markdown syntax with
PmWiki.[1] "Markdown is a text-to-HTML conversion tool for web
writers. Markdown allows you to write using an easy-to-read,
easy-to-write plain text format, then convert it to structurally valid
XHTML (or HTML)."[2]

Markdown is similar to wiki syntax, but the source is a little easier
to read. Since I take course notes using pywe (my python-based pmwe
editor which allows me to edit using vim), I like having a
easy-to-view source. There are some pages of mine I have only ever
seen using my editor!

I had earlier mixed the Markdown syntax haphazardly (as opposed to now
which is only hazardly) with PmWiki code, notably the heading syntax
(not the Atx format). That caused problems with the
PageTableOfContents recipe. This recipe converts the two heading
styles I like (the ones that underline the heading in a row of '=' or
'-') with PmWiki's normal "!!" markup.

It renders blockquotes the same as you may see with emails (each row
prefixed with '> '), but this recipe does not nest the block quotes
(yet).

[1]: http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Markdown
[2]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

--