[pmwiki-users] RFC: refactored introduction to wiki markup

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed May 10 18:45:58 CDT 2006

On Thursday, 11 May 2006 10:54 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>One of the issues with putting categories in the distributed docs
>is that it "eats" category names that the site might want to use
>for other purposes.  It also presumes the existence of something
>to display the category listing (which isn't currently the case
>in the distribution).

OK, scratch that idea. However, the proposal to categorize
documentation pages is still valid. A few options:
- have some manually-created pseudo-category pages in the
  PmWiki group; add [[markup]] to each markup page and
  Markup contains a list of pages in PmWiki group containing
  [[markup]] references

- maintain a trail page for all pages about Markup and other
  pseudo-categories

- use keywords in page names and generate page lists based on
  "name contains Markup", for example

>> >4. Is there a better name for the draft page I am working on (an index
>> >of markup characters), like MarkupCharacterIndex, or
>> >IndexOfMarkupCharacters, or...  (Which suggests whether index pages
>> >should be clustered by names)
>>
>> FWIW I like IndexOfMarkupCharacters.
>
>I think I prefer MarkupIndexByCharacter.  We can then also have
>things like MarkupIndexByType or MarkupIndexByFunction (which
>presumably replace the MasterMarkupIndex).

Works for me.

--
JR