[pmwiki-users] fmt=#headerinclude (was Further PmWiki Development)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue May 23 17:21:14 CDT 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 02:35:48PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2006, OBUTEX / Hlad?vka wrote:
>>
>>> The description markup has to be in the source i.e.
>>> (:title Example:)
>>> (:description Lorem ipsum ..... :)
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Jiri
>>
>> Hmm... I've done that. But double checking my test case at pmwiki.org I
>> see it's working there, so maybe there some problem with my local wiki
>> installation.
>>
>> What do you think of the idea of adding examples of using the various
>> pagelist formattings etc to this page:
>> 	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PagelistExamples
>
> How is that page intended to be any different from the
> existing one at...?
>
>    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistTemplateSamples

I'll answer that by first listing the current pages I could find that are
related to pagelist. Here's the pages I found:

* PmWiki/PageLists		- primary doc. page of (:pagelist:)
* Pmwiki/Directives#pagelist	- gives syntax of (:pagelist:)
* PmWiki/DocumentationIndex	- just refers to PmWiki/PageLists
* PmWiki/MarkupMasterIndex	- some syntax of (:pagelist:)

* PmWiki/PagelistsExplained	- redirected to Cookbook/PagelistExplained
* PmWiki/PagelistExamples	- the page I suggested
* PmWiki/PagelistVariables	- describes variables related to pagelist

* Site/PageListTemplates	- default page that defines formats

* Cookbook/PagelistExplained	- more details. Why in Cookbook/ ?
* Cookbook/PagelistTemplateSamples - examples of user-defined templates,
 				  as well as illustration of results

* Cookbook/PageList		- No idea... remove?
* Cookbook/PageListWikiTrail	- separate recipe
* Cookbook/PageListTemplates	- old recipe. depreceated. remove?
* Cookbook/CompactPageList	- probably an obsolete recipe. remove?

This is quite a mess in my opinion... If it is possible, I'd suggest we
remove the recipe pages we can. Perhaps move the pages into a separate
group called CookbookOld/ or something.

I also don't see why 'PagelistExplained' is in the cookbook. I think
(:pagelist:) deserves a proper "advanced" documentation page. But maybe I
don't get the purpose of the page.

My idea for PmWiki/PagelistExamples was that it would be a place to
illustrate the result of the pagelist formats defined that are defined by
*default* at Site.PageListTemplates. In other words, document how the
formats that come with PmWiki work. One reason why I don't want to have
this information on a cookbook page is that I'd like to be able to easily
see how all the formats are affected when I modify the format definitions.

However, assuming there's no performance penalty in adding documentation
to Site.PageListTemplates about the formats supplied with PmWiki, maybe
that documentation should simply go *with* the actual format definitions.

What do you think?

As sidenote: I think we should have a bit more consistent naming of these
pages (PageList vs Pagelist). I'd prefer just 'Pagelist', since there is
no capital 'L' in (:pagelist:).

cheers
/Christian