[pmwiki-users] pagelist is creating links relative to the current group?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 24 22:10:22 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:32:38AM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> > What's wrong with (besides being a bit ugly):
> >
> >     * [[ClassSubclass.SomePage]]
> >     ** [[ClassSubclassSomePage.Item1]]
> >     ** [[ClassSubclassSomePage.Item2]]
> >     ** [[ClassSubclassSomePage.Item3]]
> >     * [[ClassSubclass.AnotherPage]]
> >     ** [[ClassSubclassAnotherPage.Item1]]
> >     ** [[ClassSubclassAnotherPage.Item2]]
> >
> > (A useful exercise:  See if having hierarchical links makes any
> > improvement to the above. :-)
>
> Not on the above. But hierarchical groups would allow PmWiki to
> automatically generate a group list that has the above structure.
> Currently, I'd have to write
>
> * [[ClassSubclass.SomePage]]
> (:pagelist group=ClassSubclassSomepage list=normal fmt=simple:)
> * [[ClassSubclass.AnotherPage]]
> (:pagelist group=ClassSubclassAnotherPage list=normal fmt=simple:)

I wonder if something like the following would work:

   (:pagelist group=Class* list=normal fmt=hierarchy:)

The wildcard would manage to get all of the pages in Class and
its "subgroups" -- so after that it's just a matter of
displaying the pages in a useful sequence, which could be
done somewhat handily in a custom routine (triggered by the
'fmt=hierarchy' parameter).

>  From a practical view point, how would an "implied relationship" change
> anything in terms of how pages are rendered or interpreted? --Pm
>
> PmWiki would "know" the relationship between the Animal group, the
> Animal.Mammal group, and the Animal.Mammal.Canine group. This affects
> various functions: group searches (would cover subgroups), renaming
> (moving a group to a different place would also affect the pages in the
> subgroups), pagelist generation (again, would include subgroups - good
> for generating wikitrails that span several hierarchies).

I think that wildcards handles the case of searching and pagelist
generation that you've described above.  As far as page renames
are concerned, I think that in practice it ends up being the
same amount of work for both a hierarchical and flat naming scheme.
(I know this last point isn't at all intuitive, but all of my
thought experiments on the topic have pretty much come to this
conclusion.)