[pmwiki-users] leading space rule? what rule?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 25 16:40:39 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 02:23:54PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 03:47:43PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > You don't have to necessarily fix it -- just let us know where you
> > were looking for the information or where you think it ought to go.  :-)
>
> Well, if I were writing it I could put the horse before the cart.
>
> Say what leading whitespace does on normal lines.
> Then say what it does for lists.
> Then say what it does for block elements.
> ...then what it does for anything else.
>
> I can make that change myself, if you can confirm that leading whitespace
> only does
>
>  preformatted text on normal lines
>
> * this is a list item
>  keeps this trailing text indented and part of this list item

Not exactly.  In order for whitespace to have it's "part of
a list item" effect, the first non-whitespace character must
horizontally align with the text of a previous list item.

    *   this is a list item
        this is part of the list item
      this is not

>  [some-block-element like [=
> 	the entire block is preformatted text
> some-block-element]

I'm not sure what "block element" means in this context.
However, the space+[=...=] rule that others described (and that
still exists in several parts of the documentation) is highly
discouraged in PmWiki 2.1 -- authors should use [@...@] instead
for preformatted and uninterpreted text.