[pmwiki-users] email notification of page changes (watchlists)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri May 26 19:19:37 CDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:05:29PM -0400, DaveG wrote:
> Would it be possible to allow users to add themselves to the
> Site.NotifyList page?
>
> What I envision is a Site.NotifySubscribe page consisting of two fields:
> email, and page, with a submit button. The page field may be
> auto-populated from a link.

Instead of (or in addition to) a separate Site.NotifySubscribe page,
I think it might be worthwhile to have the form on the Site.NotifyList
page itself.  That way a person can add a notify list either by using
the form on the page or by editing the page directly.

> We could then create a link on a page(s) which allows users to subscribe
> to changes to that page.
>
> Example:
> Alice clicks the "Subscribe" link on page g.x. The Site.NotifySubscribe
> page is loaded, prepopulated with the page field "g.x". Alice enters her
> user name and clicks Submit. Site.Notify is updated with:
>    notify=alice at example.com name=g.x
>
> I suspect we'd need to password protect Site.NotifySubscribe to prevent
> malicious subscriptions.

Either that, or we need to have an email verification system of
some sort (as described in my March message on this topic :-).