[pmwiki-users] New PmWiki Features Page . . .

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 31 15:47:42 CDT 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 01:52:27PM -0400, Sandy wrote:
> We need a much shorter page for the _entry point_. First impression
> should be "Neat! I want to learn more," rather than a huge list of
> features and big words to slog through. Think cover letter, resume and
> job interview. What are the top ten good things new users (admin and
> authors) say about PmWiki?

I'm not a reliable source, but here's eight of the things I hear
about most often (not really in any particular order):

    1.  Flat file database
    2.  Customization/plug-in architecture
    3.  Local customizations survive upgrades
    4.  Easy to create skins
    5.  Small, compact core design
    6.  Easy to install and administer
    7.  Outstanding community and support
    8.  Flexible authentication and authorization

> Replace the repetitive phrases in the tables ("Built In", "Plug In" and
> "Not Yet") with three labeled columns.

Actually, lately I've been wondering if we should just eliminate the
tables altogether, and immediately following each feature's heading
write 'Core', 'Plugin', or 'Possible future extension', as well as
a link to the page that describes the feature in more detail.

> Shorten paragraphs. Chop the veribiage.

I've always especially liked Steve Krug's advice on this,
which is essentially:   Omit <strike>needless</strike> words.
Or, as he says, eliminate half of the words, and then eliminate
half again after that.