[pmwiki-users] Fields

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Nov 5 14:48:26 CST 2006

> On 11/5/06, Mark Trumpold <mark at ruthtrumpold.id.au> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > How does one set up a form?
>
> PmWiki has a built-in (:input:) directive you can use.
>
> See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook#FormTools

You could also take a look at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Forms for more detailed info about
setting up forms.

> > And ...
> >
> > How do I make a field such as 'author' be compulsory, ie they need to put
> > some kind of name in before the page saves?
>
> In config.php:
>
>   $EnablePostAuthorRequired = 1;
>
> See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RequireAuthor
>
> > And ...
> >
> > How can I have people register (through a form) themselves and not go
> > through me or someone else sp then they can edit.

If you do want to allow users to create accounts, and perhaps collect
information about each one in order to customize your site based on
them, and their preferences, you could look at ZAP forms.  For info go
to www.zapsite.org.

It's one thing to make a form, another to make it do something.  ZAP
has dozens of snippets you can simply cut and paste which allow to use
forms to do all kinds of useful things.  Let me know if you need help,
I'll do my best to provide some support for you.

> By far the easiest way is to use a shared password, a.k.a.
> "password-based access control".  That way if an author knows the
> password, they're "registered".  :-)
>
> The Most Experienced PmWiki Administrator On Earth has written
> persuasively that even for large wiki sites this is the easiest way to
> go and it's much more effective and trouble-free that you might
> imagine.  It's at least worth trying first, then if it doesn't work
> out you can switch to a more complex identity-based solution.
>
> See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin

I think Pm is right that the above is best if you want an authentic
wiki.  If you want to use PmWiki as a CMS (it knocks the socks off the
competitors here too) you probably want something more.

Cheers,
Caveman