[pmwiki-users] Categories on pmwiki.org

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Nov 12 14:09:02 CST 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 03:17:38PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> PmWiki does now generate category pages automatically on pmwiki.org.
> The result is a swelling of the Category group by test pages creating
> categories. I wonder how we can filter more genuine "official"
> category pages from this group, so a meaningful list of all categories
> can be given on Category.Category.

I can configure pmwiki.org so that category pages aren't automatically
created.  Or I could do that for categories in specific groups/pages
(e.g., Test.* and Main.WikiSandbox).

> Also we lack a tool to remove empty category pages with links to
> non-existing pages. So it would be good to list them.
> I suppose one can look for orphaned pages.

Or we could come up with a {$Backlinks} page variable that returns
the list of backlinks to a (category) page, and if that page
variable is empty we know it's an empty category.

    [[#emptycategory]]
    (:if equal {{=$FullName}$Backlinks} "" :)
    * {=$FullName}
    [[#emptycategoryend]]

I think it's probably better to simply disable automatic category
page generation on pmwiki.org.