[pmwiki-users] Settling link styles in a wiki group and on a page

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 12 16:34:03 CST 2006

On 11/11/06, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:19:28 PM, H. wrote:
>
> > I missed the subtle difference between using HTMLStylesFmt and
> > HTMLHeaderFmt in skin.php.  It's not easy to get that kind of point
> > across without over-explaining it.[1]  How about now?
>
> I would prefer it even shorter. Why explain a method in great detail,
> just to arrive at the conclusion that there is a a better method which
> should be preferred?

So a skin author will know how to make a skin with CSS that's
overridable in config.php (but the skin's styling still overrides
PmWiki defaults).

There are almost certainly circumstances where a skin author would
want to allow recipe styles to override the skins's.

> Even if the logic is compelling.
> I would also like to point out the one advantage of the"old method",
> namely no skin.php,

I don't know if that's an advantage or more of a by-product.  It's
worth mentioning though.

> and to point out the other even worth possibility,

Good point.

I worked on it some more.  It took longer than expected so now I'm out
of time to write much about what I did.  The bottom line is that I'm
not so positive any more the the "preferred method" is really *the*
preferred method.  Take a look and see if we're moving the ball down
the field or just kicking the can down the road.  Or moving the can
down the r...  Well, never mind the idioms; just let me know what you
think.

It's a beautiful 76 °F / 24 °C Sunday in Phoenix so I'm going to grab
a ball, a frisbee, the dog, and some ice-cold cans.  Then we'll drive
down the road to a field where we'll kick cans, throw balls, and avoid
pondering arcane CSS precedence issues for a while.  ;-)

Hagan