[pmwiki-users] Play safe...

Wendell Brown wbrown at arkie.net
Mon Nov 13 12:28:53 CST 2006

kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:

> But, as said, I've seen about the same behaviour in many different sites.

Some people CHOOSE to index their page by either specifically allowing
google's bot (by name or IP) in the .htaccess file or they provide a
password for google to us to index their site.  They do this for
different reasons (usually to get clicks to their page so people WILL
register or so they can use google for their internal search engine -
hey, I didn't say they were good ideas).

It's also possible that the site was indexed BEFORE security was turned
on OR as you say, security problems can cause this.  Unfortunately, you
can't tell from the outside what allowed this to happen.