[pmwiki-users] OpenOffice.org file uploads

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Mon Nov 13 20:30:10 CST 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 11:12, Robin Sheat wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 12:56, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> > server (how else would one run "Mailman"?), IMHO security based on file
> > extensions is very weak indeed - almost meaningless.  Why? Python will
> > run "scripts" (programs) without any extensions of their name.  This is a
> > problem for security, is it not?
>
> I'd expect not. While Python (and Perl, and PHP) can run files without a
> particular extension, when part of a website, it's Apache that decides who
> gets to run it. And typically (as I understand it), it gives it to PHP if
> it's a .php file, Perl if it's a .pl file, and so on. It's not executed as
> you would from the command line, where it goes through the Linux program
> loader which works it out based on the first line, but instead it is based
> on extension.
>
> > OldAl in sweltering Canberra Down-Under. Hi Robin, neighbour!
>
> Don't say sweltering :) I'm going to be in Canberra in January (after
> Linux.conf.au), coming from Dunedin. Currently it's 12 degrees, and we've
> had 9mm of rain today. I think it'll be hard to adjust...
Hello neighbour and Pm Friends,

Thanks for elucidating the security issue - it is always worth while to keep
security in mind.

Oh, according to pmwiki page of installations over the world,  it shows two in
Australia - one somewhere about Sydney or Canberra, the other way up North.
I assume that the nearer one is ours, PCUG in Canberra, or is it?  Also, I
found one in Lithuania, using the Lithuanian translation that I did
contribute to the pmwiki site.  Kind of gives a warm feeling for this old
man.

BTW, don't worry about the midday heat - the temperature over night drops some
20 degrees centigrade.  Canberra is in the arid part of this land, and its
climate is almost that of a desert... (Plenty of trees in this bush capital,
though - there is still some water in the tap.)

Kind regards to you all,

OldAl.

--
Algis Kabaila (Dr)