[pmwiki-users] Problem with backup and restore of PmWiki

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Wed Nov 15 02:41:13 CST 2006

> Today I am testing the backup-restore function of PmWiki 2.1.26.
> As I am using Windows XP and does not have a telnet access to the FTP site, I have to download all files in PmWiki to my local drive and then upload them again to another directory of the FTP site for testing.
>
> I found that one file cannot be downloaded correctly, because its name contains an invalid character that cannot be recognized by Windows file system.
> In this case, if I upload the problematic backup to the FTP site, the page corresponding to the bad file will disappear from PmWiki.
>
> Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem to backup my PmWiki site in a Windows computer?

One way is to create a compressed tar archive on the remote computer
then download that. You do need to have shell access to be able to do
this. Navigate to the directory above your PmWiki installation and then:

tar -cvzpf my_wiki_backup.tgz your_pmwiki_dir

You can then download my_wiki_backup.tgz. Winzip and several other
Windows archiving programs can open compressed tar files.

Ian.