[pmwiki-users] View

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Nov 23 12:32:37 CST 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 05:51:15PM +0200, Mark Trumpold wrote:
> On 23/11/06 2:03 PM, "Anno" <anno at shroomery.org> wrote:
>
> >> I don't get why 'view' is on the pageactions page. What is it meant to do?
> >
> > It is ment to view the page, if you are for instance on the edit page
> > and want to go back to the normal view without making any changes.
>
> Thanks
>
> But isn't that why we have the preview button at the bottom of the page?

The preview button at the bottom of the edit page allows someone to
see the current edit text without actually saving the page.  The
"view" button always returns to the latest saved version of the page.

As others have mentioned, it's useful to get back to the normal
page's view after performing a search, history, or other action.
However, from a web-design perspective it's also reasonable
to say that the "view" link shouldn't exist at all, which is
why administrators are able to customize Site.PageActions as
appropriate for their sites.