[pmwiki-users] PHP - slightly off topic but not really

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:28:49 CST 2006

On 11/26/06, Jan Erik Moström <lists at mostrom.pp.se> wrote:
> OK, I've decided that I need to learn PHP, among other things I
> want to be able to hack pmwiki/drupal/wordpress etc, and I would
> like to have some recommendations of suitable book(s).
>
> +   I would like it to contain "PHP best practices" hints/tips
> +   I would like to see "typical pitfalls"
> +   Preferable "PHP design hints"
>
> And yes, I prefer to read on paper (I've found that it takes me
> much shorter time to learn from a good book than using on-line documentation).
>
> So does anyone have any suggestions for what to read?

Does a bear ...  oh .. heh..

Ok, so books.  I'm happy to see you interested in best practices and
pitfalls and I'm hoping that includes security.  With that in mind, I
can recommend two such books that I have found to be excellent.

Essential PHP Security by Chris Shiflett (ISBN 059600656X)
This is a small book (about 100 pages) but purely covers security.
Not too bad for a quick security intro complete with common pitfalls.

Pro PHP Security by Chris Snyder and Michael Southwell (ISBN 1590595084)
This is a much more in-depth book that covers most of the common
security issues in-depth.  Another excellent read.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0 at gmail.com