[pmwiki-users] Is this possible with ZAP ?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Tue Nov 28 08:38:54 CST 2006

On 11/28/06, Christophe DAVID <christophe.david at christophedavid.org> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your support.  I am more and more convinced that
> ZAP is a fantastic tool and that I'll use it a lot, but I would definitely
> suggest you take the time to make one single, clear and up-to-date
> reference page.  Possibly not in a new window but integrated in zapsite.

Actually, I do have one.  Just click the "Documentation" link.  It is
not *completely* comprehensive, but it is quite close.  I didn't
integrate it into zapsite because the table is too big and it messes
with my skin layout.

I am thinking of putting each feature/function on a separate page,
like the php.net function pages and allow users to comment on them as
well.  Then on the main documentation page I would just have a list of
features (including any page variables, and conditionals available)
and corresponding links to the appropriate doc page or relevant
snippets pages.  I could even list these pages dynamically using a
pagelist I suppose--so it would be easier to add features or update
them.  Well, it would take while but might be worth it in the long
run.  What do you think of this idea?

> Well, I finally managed to find out what you mean with "threads". A search
> on zapsite did not help much, besides pointing to the forum snippet.
>
> There I found the # in the pagename, and trial and error seems to indicate
> that you need to have the variable {$nextthread} in the form for it to
> work.

I've recently made some changes to the way threading works, and there
may be a bug in it.  I noticed a bug on zapsite perhaps connected to
those changes--and made a temporary fix, but haven't tracked down the
cause.  Theoretically though, using the FixPage function you can put #
or = into any field ending in name  and it will change that part of
the page name to the highest numbered page name in the group + 1or the
highest numbered page name itself.  These can also be used in ZAPdata
directives--where page variables do not work due to markup processing
order.  If you use the ZAPget directive and indicate a group, it sets
{$nextthread}, {$lastthread} for that group (same as # and =). It also
sets the wonderful little {$groupcount} variable.  These can also be
used in form fields.

> Maybe I did not search at the right place, but I did not find any
> reference of the "#" anywhere but in the forum snippet.  Go figure ;-)

It's in the documentation section under the page feature.  That's
where it is used. See also the FixPage snippet.

> So now that I can have pagenames that increment by some magic around #,
> I'll try the next step ;-)
>
> ZAP definitely deserves a proper "reference" document which should contain
> all you need to have on your desk when working, with pointers to the
> snippets.

I'm working at it, but because ZAP has so many features it's hard to
keep it all documented.  And as I have been busy answering many
peoples questions (some offlist) and adding features and fixes to
accommodate their needs, keeping up with the documentation has been
challenging.  I can at least say I've tried...

I should also point out that there's not another recipe on PmWiki
(that I know of) with the level of support I've provided already.  I'm
open to suggestions, but I haven't even been able to get ZAP going on
my site--what I developed it for.  Yikes!  So there has to be a
balance to what I can offer.  Though a bit of help might make a
difference...

> The snippets could also have some more comments to explain how they work
> and why there are made that way: this would make them even more useful.

I am still hoping users make an effort to do their part by adding
their own comments as they figure things out that perplexed them. Or
at the least ask questions there so the answers could be documented
for future users.  I monitor those as well as the "Questions" and
ZAPchat sections and try to respond quickly. I'll also correct any
posts that contain incorrect information.  So no fears there.

> Thanks again for your very promising software and your help
>
> Christophe (quite frustrated to loose so much time to get the hang of ZAP)

It will be worth it, I assure you.  There is a bit of a learning curve
but it's because ZAP is not a normal recipe.  You have to think of it
as more like a mini scripting language.  Once you learn the language
(quite simple compared to php or whatever) you will be able to do
many, many things. So keep pressing on.  And ask questions early.
I'll be happy to explain what I can as I have time.

Cheers,
Caveman

PS.  Sometime in the next few weeks I hope to have a (proof of
concept) auto config ZAPmodule that will make ZAP even easier to
enable, configure and secure.  Complete with a built in ZAPhelp
system!?  How about that?