[pmwiki-users] Installation question by newbie

Doug O'Harra doharra at gci.net
Thu Nov 30 17:30:28 CST 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm a rank beginner at wikis and php, with no coding background at all. I'm
determined to slog up the learning curve bit by bit. The last day or so I've
been tripping over a speed bump I just can't seem to pass.

I installed pmwiki on my website in its own pmwiki directory/folder inside
the www folder. It appears to work great and I started to customize. I can
load my nascent pmwiki homepage from www.mywebsite.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php
with no problem.

Then, following installation directions, I created an index.php file with
the code:

<?php include_once("pmwiki.php");
?>

If I keep file index.php inside the www.mywebsite.com/pmwiki folder and
enter url www.mywebsite.com/pmwiki/index.php, it loads the newest version of
the homepage with the latest customized configuration. Identical to what
gets loaded by www.mywebsite.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php. Just as you'd expect. (I
think.)

However, if I move that index.php file inside the www directory/folder where
it can serve as a default for my website, it no longer works. I was careful
to change the code to ---

<?php include_once("/big/dom/xmyhomepage/www/pmwiki/pmwiki.php");
?>

In this last case, www.mywebsite.com/index.php seems to bring up the default
Main.HomePage from the wikilib.d folder. It's not importing the new
pmwiki.php file or any changes made to config.php -- even through the
include seems to be pointing to that precise file.

I checked and rechecked permissions, retyped the code, tried different
syntax, everything I could think of.

I also tried holding my mouth a certain way, something that sometimes works
when salmon fishing. No luck there either. :)

I realize I need to get a php beginner's book as a desk-side tutor. But in
the meantime, any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Doug