[pmwiki-users] Meetup? Drupal?

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Oct 1 05:57:39 CDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 5:10 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Stirling Westrup schrieb:
>> Secondly, someone else suggested that we use Drupal instead, not
>> because
>> of any particular familiarity with it (as far as I could tell) but
>> because its well known and has a large user base.
>
> You might also take a look at Joomla.
> It's being used by people of varying technical background, and I
> haven't
> heard anything about technical trouble from them.
> The Joomly people say it's simple to install and administer, and that
> seems indeed to be the case.
> It needs a MySQL database. Tables get a prefix (modifiable).

This has become a standard across nearly every package I've installed
-- some people on hosting services only get access to one database...
so having a table prefix means you can install as many programs as
you want.

Please note that I've had personal poor experiences with Joomla!  I
evaluated Drupal, Joomla! and Xoops for a set of features I required
for a website.  Drupal failed to have all the features I wanted.
Xoops was missing maybe one.  Joomla! was pretty and tempting.  After
investigating Joomla! and noting the prices on some of the modules I
needed, I decided it was worth the price.  I never wrote down the
"feature" that I needed multiple extensible user groups.  After
having used Xoops I simply ASSUMED all CMS packages used multiple
extensible user groups.

Long story short, I started buying and installing modules then went
to set up user groups and couldn't find the ability to do so.  Some
research revealed that there are a set number of user groups, someone
had written a core program hack to fix that, but it came with no
guarantees and would break upgrading until the hack caught up with a
new release, and possibly break other modules/plug-ins.  Combine this
with the fact that I had to pay for at least 3 of the features I
required, and had already bought one, I was exceptionally upset with
the package.

If you don't require that extensibility in the foreseeable future,
Joomla may be the package for you, but be sure to make a detailed
list of features you want, look the feature packages up, research the
prices if any (about half of the ones I needed had either a price tag
or a limited version with a price tag on a "full version" offered if
you wanted more features in the plug-in), and decide if the price is
worth your while.  Add a little more money in the budget in case you
missed something.  If you need real free software with a lot of add-
ons (and decide not to go with PmWiki), make a list of features and
investigate Xoops.  It doesn't have the fame that Drupal and Joomla!
have, but it's stable, has a strong community, many plug-in modules,
and is more wisely built.  I have used it several times and have yet
to pay for any add-ons.  BUT it's not as pretty out-of-the-box and
every(!) feature except core user/group functionality is a plug-in,
including forums.  The only assumptions I think they made is you're
going to have authentication, users, groups, HTML templates and plug-
in modules.  That keeps the core light, and extensibility is of
primary importance otherwise there would be no functionality at all.

Crisses