[pmwiki-users] Maintaining recipes that require non-relative urls ({*$var})

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Mon Oct 2 07:03:13 CDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 6:59 AM, Pico wrote:

> When relative urls were introduced there was an acknowledgment that
> relative links will "break" skins, such as Triad?  At the time I
> assumed
> that the reference was simply to the fact that the distributed pages
> would need to change various links from {$var} to {*$var}, but now
> I am
> realizing that the issue may be bigger than that when it comes to
> maintaining and distributing recipes that will work with all recent
> various versions of PmWiki: If you "fix" certain links by changing
> them
> from {$var} to {*$var}, what will those new links do on prior versions
> of PmWiki (2.1.26 and earlier)?  Since I no longer have any such
> versions installed, I missed the opportunity to test that.

It breaks them.  So an earlier version of the skin "For PmWiki < 2.2"
needs to be maintained.

> I assume that the new (*$var) form will not be properly rendered on
> 2.1.26 and earlier and thus, skins such as Triad that are distributed
> with supporting pages that contain edit links will need some way to
> provide different markup for older and newer versions of PmWiki.
> Aside
> from maintaining and distributing separate recipe files, I assume that
> this could be handled with conditionals that test the version
> number of
> PmWiki.  Are there problems with that approach?  Is there a better
> way?

I don't think it's unusual to maintain separate versions.  And I'm
not sure I would want to deal with bloat in the skin with
conditionals.  Some pages load slow enough without needing to make
more decisions because of the skin ;)

But that's my opinion of course.

Crisses