[pmwiki-users] Selecting a Wiki engine...

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Mon Oct 2 11:50:10 CDT 2006

Hi All,

running several (currently broken) PhpWiki based wikis, I'm strongly
considering to switch to a better maintained Wiki engine. PmWiki is
on the top, I will also check DokuWiki and maybe Mediawiki again.

Since I'm no PHP programmer (I'm doing embedded stuff in "plain C"),
I can't dig into the code but have to rate it from a "dumb user's"
view, so I would like to learn more about PmWiki's (or other Wiki's)
non-obvious characteristics and strengths (or weaknesses).

For example, I read that Mediawiki has a "suboptimal" code with many
globals, rather hard to maintain. Well, I have to believe it. Obvious
for me is that Mediawiki has no option to purge the page history,
that's a severe disadvantage for me (limited storage in hosted
environment, maybe performance issues).

Availability: although I see that Patrick R. Michaud and the very
active community do a great job improving PmWiki, I would like to
know whether there are more (potential) "core" developers, IOW
whether there is a good change that PmWiki will be maintained even if
PM stopped development some day.

Security: is PHP really that bad (e.g. compared Perl) in terms of
security? The PmWiki code didn't seem to have many security issues in
the past. Is it written more defensive than other applications?

So many questions - maybe someone can point out whether or why PmWiki
is the best choice...

TIA,

Oliver
--