[pmwiki-users] Selecting a Wiki engine...

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Oct 2 22:23:50 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 06:50:10PM +0200, Oliver Betz wrote:
> So many questions - maybe someone can point out whether or why PmWiki
> is the best choice...

Well, I hope you're asking other communities why they chose *their*
wiki, because of course you could consider us all a bit biased. 8-)
Another point is that whether something is the "best" choice will depend
on your needs, too, which may not be the same as those who happily are
using PmWiki.

That being said, though...

Reasons I chose PmWiki:
- file-based data storage
  * because having to administer a MySQL database is an annoying extra chore
  * because storing data in text files is easier to fix if things go wrong
  * because for some uses it's nice to be able to mirror a wiki just by
    using rsync (such as syncing my private personal wiki between my
    desktop and my laptop)
- upgrading to a new version is fantastically easy, more so than
  anything else I looked at
- separation of core, plugins and configuration
- active, responsive community

Nifty things I found after using PmWiki:
- pagelists; powerful, flexible and getting more so with version 2.2
- skins are easy to make (well, if you know HTML and CSS like I do)

Things that are not so nifty:
- limitation to a two-level hierarchy (groups and pages)
- I wish it were written in Perl (evil grin)

Kathryn Andersen