[pmwiki-users] Selecting a Wiki engine...

The Editor editor at fast.st
Tue Oct 3 07:11:25 CDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Thomas Voghera <thomasvoghera at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - limitation to a two-level hierarchy (groups and pages)
>
> Is this about how pages can be organized? carved in stone?
>
> --
> regards /Thomas V

Yes, and I find this about the only limitation to PmWiki.  (Other than
a few forms problems Pm should be fixing as a part of this beta).
Otherwise it beats anything else I've tried/researched, hands down.
Esp in terms of performance, flexibility, stability, and ease of
use--not to mention great support.

But it is *possible* this hierarchy problem will be solved soon.
There was a very long list discussion on the subject a few months
back, and the resolution seemed to be there was not a simple way (yet)
to adequately qualify relative links (and avoid resulting
ambiguities).

I'm wondering if in the back of Pm's mind the new syntax for *$:vars
was a step toward solving this problem.  That is, perhaps a way is
being paved to one day to use some kind of similar syntax for
multi-level group hierarchies.  I couldn't follow all the technical
issues involved but you could go back and search the list archives if
you are interested.

Personally, I think it would be excellent to see this solved. I
*suppose* it will eventually. Or at least some brilliant workaround
(like categories which can be hierarchical, aka tags).

I should note you could add a third level by using multiple wikis and
intermap.  I'm thinking about doing that for some features on my site.
 Also I believe there may be some recipes for subpages, using commas
or some such notation.  But haven't looked at any of those myself.

Cheers,
Caveman