[pmwiki-users] Selecting a Wiki engine...

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue Oct 3 09:56:27 CDT 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 7:46 AM, Thomas Voghera wrote:

>> - limitation to a two-level hierarchy (groups and pages)
>
> Is this about how pages can be organized? carved in stone?

This is an oddity actually.

http://www.kinhost.org/wiki/Main/ManualTOC -- table of contents of a
manual.

ALL pages (with a few exceptions) are in a single group (Main --
which is my bad from when I set it up ;) ).  The TOC was hand-
written, but it does NOT give the impression that PmWiki has only 2
levels of pages.

You could create your own heirarchy:

Group1/pages...
	Group1-1/pages
Group2/pages

It doesn't matter if you name it:
Dogs/AboutDogs
	Dogs-Doberman/AboutDobermans
		Dogs-Doberman-Mixes/AboutDobermanMixes
Cats/AboutCats
	Cats-Persian/AboutPersians

Or if you have a completely arbitrary heirarchy like I do on my wiki
(linked above).

It is only really limited if you think in a limiting way.  Some
people really do want 3 levels or more and aren't willing to play
with naming groups and pages to create a human-readable heirarchy.
I'm sure that more levels could open up a few interesting
possibilities at the expense of complicating the program.  The
technical end is limited -- everything before / is a "Group" and
everything after / is the page name.  I've seen some incredibly LONG
page names, so I'm not sure if there's a particular length limit to
the names.

New wildcard search capabilities and data storage abilities open up
more possibilities for organizing Group/PageName searches and data,
automated listings, etc.  The system is very flexible.

Crisses