[pmwiki-users] Site Defacement

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Oct 3 11:00:20 CDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:10:27AM -0400, Jason Frisvold wrote:
> I just tried to visit the pmwiki homepage and the front page was
> defaced with an ad for ringtones...  I restored the original look, but
> thought I might let you know it happened.
>
> Is there any mechanism in place to prevent such spamming?

The PmWiki home page automatically restores itself after fifteen
minutes of inactivity.  Feel free to try it -- make a small
change to the home page, and you'll see that pmwiki.org will
auto-revert it back to the original after fifteen minutes
(as long as nobody updates it in the meantime).

This lets newcomers see that it really is possible to modify pages
on the site, while not having pmwiki.org site defaced for long
periods of time.  If we get a case where spammers are constantly
defacing the home page, we'll set a password on it.